Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Lawless Lawyer Review


I didn't dive in to watch this drama. The subbed episodes were released irregularly, and the synopsis didn't grab my interest despite my undying attraction to Lee Joon Gi. But I ended up scrolling for something to watch, and I decided to give it a try. I was gobsmacked by how brilliant this drama is.

From the first episode to the last episode, I could never predict what was going to happen next. The show starts off with a woman who is caught in some dangerous ploy. Her son happens to show up at her law office and becomes a witness to her murder. Fast-forwarded 18 years into the future, the political and legal landscape is corrupt under the guise of being a place of law and order. Each episode illustrates the corrosion of justice, and we get to see Bong Sang-Pil and Ha Jae-Yi rectify the wrongs of their past. I can't reiterate enough, this show was brilliant. This crazy ride was not the least bit predictable, and I found myself up till 3 am trying to get through another heart-pounding episode.

Bong Sang-Pil is a thuggish lawyer. Raised in the gang life of his uncle, he can be a bit rough around the edges. Despite his colorful background, his morals are scrupulous. He wants the people who are responsible for the death of his mother to find judgment in court. Though he has a lot of creative ways to get his opponents into the courtroom, I loved his journey to find justice. Lee Joon Gi was ever charming in this role. He kicked butt, he was romantic and fiercely loyal. This being the first time I've watched Lee Joon Gi in a role that takes place in a modern timeline, I was impressed. He shined as an endearing lawyer. I'll be making it a point to watch more of his works.

Seo Ye-Ji plays Ha Jae Yi, and this character was incredibly grounded. Despite the fact that she's willing to throw a punch (judge, lawyers, anyone could catch those hands), she had a deep sense of honor and justice. I loved how she was smart and vulnerable. The only downside was her family story. Her father was... oblivious (if I'm being kind, or dumb as a doorknob if I'm being petty). I didn't really care about the dynamics of her family life, but I loved the chemistry she had with Lee Joon Gi.

The mama villain of them all, Cha Moon Sook! My favorite villain to hate. I couldn't stand this character, I hated her on sight... then I read in the comment section that the actress Lee Hye-Young, also plays the wicked chaebol mother in "Boys Over Flowers". I was still carrying hate in my heart from that drama and didn't understand why I felt so strongly when Cha Moon Sook is first introduced. To the very end, this cunning character pulled no punches. She wasn't humanized, but she commanded respect.










All in all, go watch this marvelous drama, it's a definite good time.


No comments:

Post a Comment