Saturday, September 22, 2018

My I.D is Gangnam Beauty


My I.D Gangnam was the answer to K-drama prayers I hadn't realized I needed. I love webtoon drama's, I think they have a creative edge, and the way they're directed is incredibly enjoyable. On the flipside, it's a slippery slope (usually downhill) after the 5th episode. I was a bit trepidatious when I started this drama. To be honest, I was pretty sure I was going to drop it. But then something happened, something utterly magical came over me. I fell in love. I fell so hard for this drama, that by the end of it, I was shaky and having withdrawal symptoms.

Lim Soo-Hyang is the real MVP. I'd seen her previous work in the drama 5 children and Inspiring Generation. In both roles she's so different I hadn't realized it was the same actress. Lim Soo Hyang playing the wonderful Kang Mi-Rae is the most enjoyable performance I've seen. Kang Mi-Rae is a young woman who has had a painful childhood. Ostracized for her weight, and later on for her looks, Mi-Rae struggles with her confidence. Deciding to get plastic surgery as a way to adjust to her new life as a university co-ed comes with some unexpected obstacles. She is judged to be an easy target and is placed in some dangerous scenarios. She also has to navigate some tricky social situations because of her face. Lim Soo Hyang's portrayal of a woman who is growing into her self and discovering what makes humans worthwhile was wonderful. She was able to showcase insecurity, anxiety, confusion, and innocence in a way that is rarely shown. 

Heartthrob Cha Eun Woo plays the Tsundere Do Kyung Seok. Introverted, but incredibly cognizant of his surroundings, he's almost like a guardian angel. Do Kyung Seok has had to overcome some abandonment issues and deal with a controlling father. I liked that he was authentic in his thoughts, and his morals. Cha Eun Woo has an incredibly attractive smile that we didn't get to see too often, but when it showed, it was utterly blissful. I can't wait to see what other acting projects he'll be in. Do Kyung Seok, is a character who is revered for his good looks, but he is socially awkward. Despite the disparity, he's really good at seeing people for who they are. He was able to see the good in the people he chose to surround himself with and he was able to decipher the B.S in the others. 

Villian Soo-Ah, was the worst character ever. I loathed her with my entire being. Every move she made was conniving and manipulative. In the last episodes we got to see her story, but I hated the character so much, I was completely disinterested. 






To be honest, I didn't really watch the last episode, it had a lot about Soo-ah, however, I think I was alone in hating her with the intensity that I had. This show was magnificent, and the last scenes with Do Kyung Seok and Kang Mi-Rae were very romantic. This is a definite must watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment