Monday, November 5, 2018

Hand: The Guest Review


Whew kids, grab your rosary, wrap yourself in a blanket, and keep on all the lights, because this drama was utterly terrifying. I loved how I couldn't watch this drama at night, and the few times that I did, I would press pause and say a quick prayer. If you get nightmares easily, or you get really scared... you may want to skip this.

Kim Dong Wook plays Yoon Hwa Pyung. Hwa Pyung is a taxi driver out to catch the demonic spirit (Park Il Do) that possessed him as a child. Park Il Do is responsible for a slew of horrific deaths. Most notably the people possessed by this spirit, stab themselves in the eye before committing suicide. Hwa Pyung carries a lot of guilt from his past, he believes that because the spirit initially possessed him, he is responsible for the deaths that incurred after the spirit left him. His tragic childhood pushes him on a relentless chase which causes him to rope in Priest Choi Yoon and police officer Kang Kil-Young.

Kang Kil-Young(played by Jung Eun Chae) is a brash young woman who is apart of the police force. She handles cases aggressively and she's consistently being reprimanded by her superiors. It took me a while to warm up to her, initially her character consistently got on my nerves. However, as time passed we learned more about her tragic past and how it affected her adult life. I still was annoyed by her, but around episode 10 she stopped being annoying, and by episode 16 I adored the character. In some ways she becomes the heart, and the glue in the group and it was nice to see that enacted even though she's not a warm or fuzzy person.

Priest Choi Yoon, aka Matteo is played by the ever gorgeous Kim Jae Wook. I loved this role for Kim Jae Wook. The way he can express repressed pain, fear, and annoyance was brilliant. Priest Matteo is cold, and awkward when it comes to softer emotions. The more horrific killings by Park Il Do affects Choi Yoon during his childhood, and he's forever scared because of it. This A-type personality priest has a hard time following the whims of the impulsive Yoon Hwa Pyung. Yet, their teamwork and support of each other were incredible. The bromance between the two alleviates the horror aspect of this drama.

I liked this drama so much, and I couldn't wait to write a review about it. It's one of the best drama's ever created and for me the best drama of 2018.  I would recommend this to anyone who likes the horror genre. This horror drama is hands down the best thing you'll watch.

Happy Drama Watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment