Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Misaeng


This drama was the first corporate drama I'd ever watched. It was an interesting insight into the corporate world in Korea. The types of challenges workers go through, and the type of work environment both positive and negative was different than anything I'd watched before. I wasn't familiar with any of the actors, even though it was a veteran studded cast. I really enjoyed this drama and the dynamics it explored.





The story centers around temp worker Jang Geu-Rae. Introverted, awkward, and earnest, this young man tries to navigate the corporate jungles despite having no experience. Siwan plays this character, and I can't applaud this performance enough. I was impressed by the style of this character and the nuances of his personality. There was a unique insight into the mind and life of a novice. I wanted to hug this character a lot, he looked as though he needed some extra support.




The team leader Oh Sang-Sik played by veteran actor Lee Sung-Min was amazing. He was the consummate leader, he guided his team, he supported them. he didn't take in bribes, he was a quality human being. I loved everything about this man. Oh Sang-Sik showcased the balance between a family man and a working man. He kept his integrity even when it benefitted him to be sketchy. I liked how he chose to be kind when he had the power to be mean. He was an incredible mentor throughout this series.





This show was my introduction to Kang So Ra. I absolutely love her, and I've enjoyed the majority of the projects that she's picked out. She plays fiercely intelligent An Young-Yi. She represents the journey of having to prove why you're the best. Though she was the ace of the recruits, her working life wasn't as smooth as it should've been. She was often reduced to doing menial tasks because she was a woman. Though she was smarter than people around her, and everyone knew she had a great educational background she wasn't treated the way she should've been.




I was also introduced to Kang Ha Neul, he legitimately has only been in projects that I thought were spectacular. I loved his performance, even though I hated his character. Jang Baek Ki comes from a privileged background. He's hyper-competitive, and he's got a stick stuck up his butt. I liked how his personality grew throughout the show. This performance was a testament to the range that Kang Ha Neul can play.










Overall be prepared to shed buckets of tears. This drama will take you to some dark places emotionally but in the end, everything works out the way that it should.

Happy Drama Watching

No comments:

Post a Comment