Monday, January 28, 2019

Man Crush Mondays Lee Soo Hyuk


Today we get to talk about the intimidatingly beautiful Lee Soo Hyuk, because he is my Man Crush Monday! Model turned actor, Lee Soo Hyuk is absolutely stunning. While he could rely on those beautiful cheekbones and chiseled chin, he is absolutely dripping with talent.

I don't accurately recall which drama introduced me to him, but my first impression was that he played only dark and brooding 2nd leads. For example, his role as Yoo Jin-Woo in the drama High School Savvy was a bit intense.
This character is rich, seething, and menacing.



                                    Yet
(and I have to admit his six-pack abs helped a bit) there was something about him that pulls the audience in. I wanted to know much more about Jin-Woo's character, his background, his trials, and tribulations etc. Even though writers write the 2nd lead fairly, I  was insatiably curious. Though it's been some years, I believe that curiosity







This lead me to youtube stalk him. (Once I'm interested in an artist, I tend to watch everything attached to their name on the platform)
From there I found a show "Style Log" that he did with fellow actor and friend, Hong Jonghyun. This show gave some insight into Lee Soo Hyuk's personality. Basically, I learned he's too cool for school, and he's a bit reserved. If you have some free time to kill on youtube, definitely watch this show.

The next drama I think I watched was "Scholar Who Walks the Night". I think this drama got mixed reviews, but I adored it. One of the best roles in this drama was the vampire Gwi. I had so much sympathy for him. Even though this vampire was evil, he was written with such humanity. I found myself rooting for this character despite all of the atrocious things he did. I was sad that he had to be defeated, I was hoping that things would kind of turn into a bromance at the end hahaha





Valid Love was the drama in which I started to see Lee Soo Hyuk in a different light. He still played a dark and brooding character, but I loved the level of innocence that showed through. In his previous roles, he was arrogant and cocky, but in this role, he seemed genuinely perplexed by social niceties and graces. I loved how delicately written this drama was, and I would recommend this drama to anyone.








Local Hero was the first drama that I saw in which Lee Soo Hyuk completely shed off the dark and brooding roles I'd previously seen before. His eyes looked bright, he had a "fighting" spirit, it was great to watch for the first 4 episodes. I'm not going to lie, I dropped this drama like a hot potato. The drama was poorly written, and I lost interest fast, but Local Hero was the first drama in which I saw Lee Soo Hyuk in a completely different light.




Luck Romance was amazing. I loved that drama and a lot of that had to do with Lee Soo Hyuk's role as Choi Gun-Wook. This caring, sweet, compassionate tennis player was the polar opposite of every role I'd previously seen him in. He effused light and playful energy in this role and I was incredibly happy to watch him every second that I could.

Sweet Stranger and Me, otherwise known as "Man living in my House" was a throwback to his dark and broody roles, but there was a wonderful comedic edge to it that made it refreshing for me. I really enjoyed this drama as well, and though Kwon Duk-Bong was immediately friendzoned, I loved his loyalty to his friend. This performance was enjoyable to watch, and it further showcased his depth and growth as an actor.

So a big cheer for my Man Crush Monday... Lee Soo Hyuk!


No comments:

Post a Comment