Monday, January 28, 2019

Mr. Sunshine Review


Well, I have just finished binge-watching Mr.Sunshine. I have so many emotions, feelings and this particular post may feel like emotional vomit.



Mr.Sunshine is a historical drama that illustrates the turbulent times of Korea during the early 1900's. Captain Eugene Choi, a former Korean slave, is posted at the American Legation in Korea. Navigating being an American coming from Korea we see Eugene's past is equal parts pain and grace. Under the wing of an American missionary, and the structure of the U.S Military, Eugene grows up to be a compassionate, honorable soldier, who is always doing the right thing. This drama is a layer of many different Korean experiences and perspectives. We see the corruption of the upper echelon of their society.  We see the frustrations of the lower class who are simply trying to survive. We also get insight into the people who exploit the weakness' of a government that doesn't protect its people. This drama is brilliantly written. It evokes a wide range of emotions that are reflective of real life. The insight of each character's motivation is exquisitely displayed. Each character makes profound sacrifices, and as a viewer if left me bereft.

The legendary Lee Byung Hun plays Captain Eugene Choi. To be honest I've never watched any of his Korean dramas before. I knew he was incredibly famous mostly due to variety shows that spoke very highly of him. His performance was utterly sensational. He exuded a military man, who has a deep sense of composure. Byung-Hun portrayed a man who has deep-seated rage and pain but has learned to channel that energy positively. Despite his cold demeanor we get to see a mischievous side to this character. Quick smiles, flashed across his face, and it gave some insight of how Eugene Choi could've been if he'd been born in better circumstances. The story centers around the love that draws Eugene Choi and Lady Ae-Shin. Despite their differences, they end up falling in love with each other, and they make keen sacrifices for one another.



                                            Kim Tae-Ri is a certified powerhouse.
This is the first drama that I've seen her in, but I was mesmerized by her performance. She's one of those actresses who pulsates with verisimilitude. I found myself completely sucked into the world of Lady Ae Shin. While this young woman is an aristocrat, she joins the rebel army to help liberate Korea from its oppression. Despite having access to everything a young woman could possibly want, her blood boils at injustice and she is unable to simply sit back and embroider while everything around her crumbles. Lady Ae Shin has many layers, and it's hard to box her into one kind of character. What made me adore her, was that she wasn't a damsel in distress. The level of courage she displays throughout this drama was amazing to see. More than love, more than family and friends, her absolute priority was Korea. I loved how she was able to deal with all of the crushing blows and still be a loving and compassionate woman.



Byun Yo-han plays the lackadaisical fiance of Lady Ae Shin. To be honest he was my favorite character. The light attitude he had about the world was refreshing. His simple observations made me laugh all the time. Despite his seemingly carefree life, I loved seeing how astute and insightful he was. I really wanted him and Lady Ae Shin to be together but the dramagods didn't grant my wish hahaha I hope to see a character like this as a lead of another drama.



Gu Dong Mae...this character probably deserves a post of his own. Yoo Yeon-Seok shone in this role. Engulfed in unadulterated rage, Gu Dong Mae has no qualms about taking someone's life. Growing up with the stigma of being a butchers child, he's dealt a poor hand. Escaping Korea due to the murder of his parents and with the help of Lady Ae Shin, he comes back to Korea as a Yakuza boss. I LOVED IT. I don't know why I enjoyed the bloodthirsty satisfaction of him cutting down his enemies, but I enjoyed it. The character broke my heart a little bit because the poor guy was so dysfunctional with his love of Lady Ae Shin. He never had a chance, and whatever scrap of negative attention he got from her, he lapped up and cherished.


The ACE of this show for me was Hina. Kim Min Jung was jaw-dropping in this series. Hina was sexy, intelligent, and deadly. The writer hinted at jealousy, and perhaps creating a nasty second lead, but Hina stayed classy. Everything about her was quick and astute. By far one of my favorite female characters ever. I loved how she hustled fools out of their money. I liked how she corrected injustices. The blurred lines of this character were amazing. The juxtaposition of a woman who is graceful, conniving, and strong was incredibly attractive. I would not mind seeing all K-drama leads similar to this character.









Anyways, if you want to know if this drama is worth your time.... It absolutely is!
Happy Drama Watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment