Saturday, August 11, 2018

Live (Korean Drama)



I almost skipped this drama because I wasn't impressed by the thumbnail. However, I noticed that Lee Kwang Soo and Jung Yu -Mi were on the cover and I decided this would need my attention. I hit the brakes again because I noticed that too many of the episodes weren't being subbed in a timely manner, so I waited until the whole series was subbed and then I decided to watch it. As usual, the writer Noh Hee-Kyung doesn't disappoint.

This show takes on the journey of two young people who take up a last-ditch effort at a career by becoming police officers. Initially, Yeom Sang Su and Han Jung Oh, are only there to work and get a steady paycheck. After time passes they begin to develop a sense of duty for their position. 

Yeom Sang Su is played by comical genius Lee Kwang Soo. I was first introduced to this actor in my favorite drama "It's Okay That's Love". He's also widely known from the variety show Running Man. Known to be silly and goofy, I find it shameful that his acting can often be dismissed. He absolutely breathes life into Sang Su. This character cares very deeply for his impoverished family, and he is absolutely resilient in his pursuit of a career. It was a pleasure watching this character fall in love with his job as well as fall for Han Jung Oh. While blossoming into a police officer of indisputable integrity and loyalty, Sang-Su is constantly getting injured and learning tough lessons. 

Han Jung Oh is a reserved character that has to consistently process the horrors that come with the job. She has been the caretaker of her single mother who suffers from panic attacks. It was nice to see her come into her own identity. She goes from a brittle angry woman who needs a career, to a powerful policewoman who can support her man without giving up her dreams.











While the leads are impeccable, the ensemble cast deserves a standing ovation! Bae Sung-Woo plays the hard to like (though eventually, I loved him!) Oh Yang-Chon. This character really drove the group performances, he had a difficult dynamic with his family and his co-workers, but he was the heartbeat of both groups. The captains, the mentors, the mentees all illustrated how difficult it was to navigate being a police officer. 



While I loved the characters... this show called into question several things that made me wonder if I was watching Korean societal issue's, social commentaries, or artistic license. The first thing I found disturbing was a lack of sanitary habits. There were several scenes where people didn't wash their hands after using the bathroom, a scene where Han Jung Oh has to clean throw up with her bare hands and other things that made me want to run some soap and water over my body. The second thing I found disturbing was (SPOILER) how the rapists' children were treated. Yeom Sang Su seemed to think it was okay that the family was being harassed by their neighbors, and the grandparents didn't want to take the children in because of their fathers' crime. The third thing I was perturbed by was the blatant disrespect of the congressmen toward the police officers. When watching these scenes I wasn't sure if this was a characterization of things that actually happen in South Korea, or if it was a dramatization. 

If you want a good cry, and some great laughs sprinkled through, I would recommend this drama for you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment