Tuesday, August 21, 2018

My Mister Review


Welcome to another tearjerker! I was hesitant to start this drama because the poster looked sad, and I wanted a romantic comedy, but I was in a drama drought, so I took the plunge. I plunged into depths of despair and I loved it!

IU plays spirit broken Lee Ji-An. Life has handed her one crappy scenario after another, and the girl is shut down. She is our anti-Kdrama female lead. She's not perky and she's not optimistic. Ji-An is solely in survival mode. The typical kdrama archetype comes into play because Ji-An is in debt. She is stuck paying her deceased mothers' soul-crushing debt. Ji-An is also the only person left to take care of her ailing grandmother. I loved this character because she was smart and cunning. Though she gets beat up regularly, she still tries to do what is right. When faced with great temptations, she goes out of her way to make things right again. I loved that she was a threat, but she was able to wield her sword in all the right ways. I can't reiterate this enough, Ji-An was kick ass and dangerous and it was incredibly refreshing to see her handle all of the b.s bureaucracy!

Lee Sun Kyun plays the best ahjussi ever. I loved his character. This man plays the ultimate good guy. He was able to see Ji-An for the kid that she is, and there was never an instance in which he took advantage of her. The show allows us to know him in an intimate way. We get to see his most confounding moments, his saddest moments, and when he is livid. I loved his dynamic with his brothers and his family. The way he handles obstacles with such integrity is so admirable.

The brothers are hilarious in this! They are inept, lazy, and a little broken. When it comes to their family, however, they will rally and fight no matter the cost. It was great seeing them fall in love, and try to figure out ways to keep their family together.

Give this drama a try, it will really tug your heart strings.





No comments:

Post a Comment