Sunday, August 19, 2018

What's Wrong With Secretary Kim? Review



The first episode of this drama was pure comedy genius. The audio in this drama added so much!!! I consistently laughed so hard almost every episode. The writing was witty, the dialogue was reminiscent of a 1940's screwball. For all of its hilarity, the mystery aspect of this show was thrilling. The serendipitous connection between the characters is typical of K-Drama's, but it added so much value to the story.


Park Seo Joon, one of the greatest kissing male leads of all time, plays narcissist Lee Yeong Joon. The quirks of his eyebrows, the tilts of his head... every minimalistic movement added so much to the overall delivery of this character. Seo Joon played the typical chaebol male lead, but he added a je ne sais quoi that I've never seen before. Yeong Joon is oblivious, persistent, thoughtful, self-sacrificing, a bulldozer wrapped into one. The romantic gestures were wildly over the top, the jealous inquisitions were hilarious, and the chemistry was off the charts. This unique character dragged me through the feels, despite myself. The smoking chemistry between Park Seo Joon and Park Min Young added gasoline to the hardcore ship I had of them.

Park Min Young plays Secretary Kim Mi Soo. Like the typical female lead, she is self-sacrificing and has a heart of gold. She is also the long-suffering secretary that delivers a solution before the problem is even addressed. Kim Mi Soo should be a director, a chairman, or something with a higher pay grade and more power because she is integral in making that company run. She's a doting baby sister, she's the bridge of communication between her boss and her co-workers, and she is the glue that holds everything together. I loved this character because she was willing to give up her career to focus on her self after a decade of making unimaginable sacrifices for her family. Unfortunately, her quest to find herself doesn't manifest to it's fullest potential but I think the way she grew in the series was phenomenal.

Lee Yeong Joons best friend Park Yoo Shik plays a heady comedic role in this drama as well. He delivered every line perfectly and helped to elevate some of the heavier emotions with his sardonic commentary. In a strange way, he was essential to this drama. Kang Ki Young always makes a lasting impression, and I'm really happy to see him consistently in the drama's that I watch.




The ensemble cast was just as entertaining as the leads. Each of them had a pretty developed storyline, but I will admit that I skipped some parts because the cringe factor was just too much for me to handle. However, I had a great time watching this drama and I would recommend it to anyone. They also had shoutout episode to "Because It's My First Life" and it made this drama all the sweeter for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment